Friday 12 February 2016

Writers as Readers

  I'm going to be real here, I'm about to spoil some books into the ground. If you have any desire to read these books without knowing some of the larger plot twists then you should skip the paragraphs beginning with their names. 
  My favorite book is easily Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It is a book about a bunch of nerdy shenanigans between a depressed anti-social gunter with no money and his friends who turn out to be far different and vastly similar all at once. Let us start with your most pertinent question: what in sam hell is a gunter? Well I am going to tell you. In the year of 2012 the OASIS is released. It is a virtual reality gaming system that was designed to be able to grow indefinitely by user contributions. The man who creates it kicks the bucket and leaves all of his fortune to who ever can find the easter egg hidden in the game. The players who seek this out are deemed gunters. This book is my favorite because it is littered with nerdy jokes, nerdy references, nerdy love stories, and nerdy social awkwardness. It is a bundle of joy and despair and badassery that cannot be ignored by modern readers.
  My second favorite book is Looking for Alaska by John Green. When I finished reading Looking for Alaska, I was angry afterwards because that's not how you end a book. You can't kill off my main character's love interest and not provide me with an answer to whether or not it was a suicide. That's just a dick move. In all honesty, the book is beautifully and crudely worded while maintaining the interest of the ignoramus and the intellectual alike. It is a study in love and despair and grieving, taking you through the life of a boy named Miles as he falls in love with a girl, proceeds to make out with the girl, and then falls apart because she dies. Bundles of joy from John Green, folks.
  I think that it is important to read alot because just out of these two books I have received worlds of inspiration. I firmly believe that the more you read the more effectively you write. There is something to be said about the fact that authors like John Green, Ernest Cline, Stephen King, Maya Angelou, John Steinbeck, et cetera, were all well-read. After all, there's no sense in expecting people to read your baffling and bullshit if you aren't willing to step into theirs.

1 comment:

  1. I think you might like Ender's Game, although it might not be as modern and rife with "nerdy jokes" as Ready Player One. But it is a classic with similar themes, I think. And you are so right that being an avid reader will shape you as a writer...

    ReplyDelete