Tuesday 26 January 2016

Jaded Vengeance

"Take me to the Green Gum Tree!", she yells,
Full of the vigor that toddlers are so well accustomed.
These were the last words I heard 
Before my daughter was stolen from me.

They swiped her from our rural green lawn,
Moving her in a silence that is still ringing in my ears.
Five years go by.
They find her in a truck stop dumpster.














She was bruised and barely breathing.
On her right thigh was the brand of a clever mantis.
It took some time but I unraveled the truth.
I then stood as stiff as a saguaro cactus.

My self-worth was eviscerated,
My daughter's life was broken,
and our lives can never be normal again.
This, Mr. Ortiz, is why you're going to die.

1 comment:

  1. This is my worst nightmare...something like this happening to my son. That last line so powerfully sums it up. I really like the way you made the clever mantis a marking, a clue, and how cool that you found an image that fits perfectly. I like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete